How To Talk About…
2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS
DEFENDING OUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT
- The Second Amendment right of Americans to “keep and bear arms” is fundamental to a free society.
- Incidents of violence committed by dangerous or unhinged individuals provoke understandable revulsion and grief. However, lawmakers should not rush to create new laws that violate constitutional rights while ignoring the real root causes of complex societal problems that deserve their attention.
SOURCE OR SOLUTION?
- Communities with right-to-carry laws often see a decline in murder rates and violent crimes, rather than the crime sprees and mass shootings the nation has been led to expect.
- New laws will not keep guns from criminals any better than current ones have; they will only make it more difficult for law-abiding people to protect their homes and families.
- America does not need stricter gun laws, just consistent enforcement of those already in place.
- Oppose any new bans on particular classes of firearms.
- Do not establish a national gun ownership registry.
- Require states to honor concealed carry rights from other states.
- Allow citizens to purchase firearms across state lines.
- Armed citizens are less likely to be injured by an attacker, and the number of defensive gun uses may be as high as 2.1 million to 2.5 million times per year.
- While gun ownership has doubled in the late 20th century, Americans are safer today from violent crime than they have been at any time since the mid-1960s.
Go back to the main list of “Pocket Solutions.“
Click here for more in-depth details and information provided by the Heritage Foundation.