Covenant Marriage Resources!
1. Covenant Marriage Movement Brochure. This brochure is perfect for printing and distribution in churches, etc. It gives a great overview of what Covenant Marriage is and why it is important. Click here.
2. Legal Documents Necessary for an Initial Covenant Marriage:
- Declaration of Intent, Affidavit & Attestation
- A counselor will follow the guidelines when counseling a man and woman entering marriage. Each of these documents must be signed by the counselor and couple and notarized. Take these notarized documents to your local clerk of court at the time of filing for your license.
3. Legal Documents for Converting an Existing Marriage to Covenant Marriage:
- 3-in-1 Form (Declaration, Affidavit & Attestation)
- Marriage Conversion Checklist
- Frameable Declaration
4. The Louisiana Attorney General has prepared a brochure in accordance with State Statutes. It is available here. This document must be given to every couple seeking a Covenant Marriage in Louisiana.
What is Covenant Marriage?
A Covenant Marriage is a protective layer added to traditional marriage licenses made available to a man and a woman in Louisiana. Covenant Marriages differ from standard marriage licenses by requiring couples to seek marital counseling before filing for divorce. Based on the belief that many couples unnecessarily end their marriage without sufficient attempts at resolving conflict, Covenant Marriages provide an opportunity to resolve the conflict without sacrificing the marital union in the process. Of course, in the event of a serious fault (adultery, conviction of a felony, physical or sexual abuse, etc.), a divorce will be granted to the non-faulting spouse.
Couples will execute a Declaration of Intent to designate their marriage a covenant marriage. They must sign a Recitation and Affidavit with Attestation, after receiving counseling. The counselor must attest to the counseling.
Is there a cost difference for Covenant Marriage?
No. There is not an extra cost. You will indicate on your marriage license application that you would like to receive a covenant marriage.
What is the process for married couples who would like to convert their marriage to a Covenant Marriage?
According to Louisiana law, married couples may convert their marriage to a Covenant Marriage by going through the same declaration, counseling, and procedure as set out above, the only difference being a minor wording change in the Declaration of Intent to reflect the fact that the couple is already married and wishes to convert their marriage to a covenant marriage. The intent to designate a marriage as a covenant marriage must be filed with the official who issued the couple’s marriage license and with whom their marriage certificate is filed. Since a marriage license has already been issued, there is no cost to change that marriage license to a Covenant Marriage license.
What if the couple was married outside of Louisiana?
If the couple was married outside of Louisiana, a copy of their marriage certificate, with the Declaration of Intent shall be filed with the officer who issues marriage licenses in the parish of the couple’s domicile.