Louisiana Family Forum Helpful Resources for COVID-19
(Check back often as this will be updated as information becomes available)
The Louisiana 211 Network is available to answer questions about coronavirus. You can access the network by dialing 2-1-1 from any phone.
President Trump has delayed the October 1, 2020 implementation date of the Real ID for another year. Real ID may eventually be necessary for domestic travel and to enter Federal buildings.
THE CARES ACT
In March, President Trump signed into a law a bill to help the American people and American businesses deal with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here are some provisions in the CARES Act, which is designed to help individuals, families, and businesses:
- A one-time tax rebate check of $1200 for individuals, $2400 for married couples, and $500 for dependent children, subject to income limits.
- Expands unemployment insurance to contract workers, self-employed and non-profit employees who are not normally covered under unemployment insurance.
- SBA-backed loans for small businesses and non-profits. Loans taken by small businesses to keep employees on payroll may be forgiven.
- Expanded loans and grants for large job creators.
- Direct funding to states, cities, and localities to help in fighting the pandemic.
LFF stands ready to defend our God-given and constitutional right to assemble, pray publicly, and worship freely and will send an alert when these essential rights have actually been threatened. These are challenging times for us all. LFF will continue to work closely with public officials and pastors, who both share a God-given responsibility for public safety, health, and service to those in need.
Here are some options available for remote worship services:
- Video conferencing with Zoom, Skype, or Google Hangouts.
- Live or recorded video streaming on your website or YouTube — Example use: Worship services.
- Facebook Live — Example use: Midweek Bible study, teaching.
- Conference Calls — Free accounts available at freeconferencecall.com.
It is important to continue to support families in their darkest hour, the loss of a loved one, by encouraging families to have funerals as soon as possible.
Louisiana Family Forum is participating in a massive effort called UNITE714 to encourage prayer during this difficult time, uniting churches, pastors, leaders, and individuals across the globe to pray for miraculous healing of our land from the coronavirus and spiritual awakening among the nations. Please join us in prayer.
This is an excellent time to BE THE CHURCH! Check out these ideas from the Family Research Council.
Focus on the Family has published some excellent resources on dealing with this crisis as a family and helping children cope.
We are all homeschoolers for now!
The Louisiana Department of Education has a website with pertinent information, including locations which are providing meals to go for children.
The Louisiana Board of Regents has information for college and university students, including how to access online learning.
Need WIFi? Louisiana’s public library is making their WiFi available, free of charge, outside of their buildings. Just walk or drive up and you can jump online. Here is a map of local libraries.
The Louisiana Department of Economic Development also has a website to help businesses.
At the federal level, the government has been focusing on shoring up major industry segments as well as rescuing small businesses. The CARES Act provides both.
Election information can be found on the Louisiana Secretary of State website.
HEALTH and SAFETY
See this helpful set of guidelines from the Louisiana Department of Health concerning how to stop spreading the virus. Most important is proper hygiene through handwashing and “social distancing.”
- Louisiana Department of Health Corona Virus Information
- Important Information from the Governor’s Office
- CDC COVID-19 Information
- CDC COVID-19 Information in Spanish
The federal government is encouraging, as much as possible, the use of telemedicine to allow access to healthcare workers without jeopardizing the safety of workers or patients.